Monday, December 3, 2007

Caring for Your Poinsettia

What is the most commercially produced plant in the world? If you guessed the poinsettia, then you are right. This past weekend, I was on hand for the opening day of the Poinsettia Show at the Marjorie McNeely Conservatory at Come Park. I still call it the Como Park Conservatory. If you need a break from all the snow, this is the place to see.

Caring for the poinsettia at home is not that hard. Keep these tips in mind – bright light (they are native to Mexico after all) which means south or west windows and keep the plants evenly moist and not allowed to dry out. The giant red plants that I have in my home are not near a window, but I try to move them in front of the south facing patio windows several days a week and then move them back when I get home. I set them in the sink to water and allow them to drain overnight. Keep the foliage dry and don’t allow them to stand in water. If you need more advice on caring for this Holiday beauty, click here.

Make your day a good one.