Friday, September 28, 2007

How are my tomatoes doing?

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted anything. For those of you following along, you will remember that I built a raised bed this past spring, mainly to grow tomatoes so that I can make my favorite summer time treat – bacon, lettuce and fresh from the garden tomato sandwiches. How did the tomatoes fare? The results have been mixed. The plants grew like crazy during the hot days of July. I watered them a lot and there was an excellent crop in late July and up until the middle of August. My neighbors picked tomatoes as fast as they ripened while I was in Europe in August. Once I got back at the end of August the non-stop rains hit. Since then, the tomatoes while still growing and producing have not been so good. There are lots of black spots on them caused by all the rain. So, I have eaten a few and my neighbors ate a lot. All in all I guess it was not so bad.

If the rain lets up this weekend, it is time to give the lawn its fall fertilization. Remember to set your fertilizer spreader to one half the recommended amount and then apply it twice. The first time going north/south and the second time east/west. This will guarantee even and complete coverage.

Make your weekend a good one.