Friday, April 27, 2007

Happy Arbor Day!

Another perfect weekend appears to be on tap.

When it comes to lawns, you can start putting down grass seed now. Remember to know your conditions – sun or shade and buy the right grass seed.

Hold off on the crabgrass preventer. It is still to early – patience will pay off with this one. The biggest mistake is putting it down to early.

I saw the first dandelions blooming yesterday – of course it was someone else’s yard and not my own. You can spot spray them with Weed-Be-Gone or go eco-friendly and dig them out. It’s important to get the entire long root out when pulling dandelions or they will grow back.

Last year, my containers were done in white blooming plants and lots of plants that had green and white foliage. The white garden is high on the trend list for this year too. My planters got lots of rave reviews last year. If you have never done all white do consider it. It was refreshing and clean looking. I will talk about white gardens and moonlight gardens in another blog posting.

What will I be doing in my 30 plus containers this year? For me it is the year of “tangerine”. Yes, I’m doing orange. Orange mixed again with lots of foliages. Orange can be tricky – I don’t want peach colors. I want bright tangerine. It’s still too early to plant the containers, but I plan on getting them all prepped and ready this weekend. I’ll give you rundown of the plants I plan on using in a future blog posting.

One other color that your garden should ALWAYS have in it is blue. Why? It brings the color of the sky down into your garden. Also, blue goes with everything and helps bring out the colors of other plants.

If you are up tomorrow morning at 8a.m., tune into 5 Eyewitness News Weekend Morning. I’ll be in my yard giving some grass seeding tips and also tree planting tips.

Happy Arbor Day!

Make your day and weekend a good one.