Wednesday, July 5, 2006

Revive Your Flowers

Four great days in a row! I hope your July 4 Holiday was a good one.

I got to all the things that I mentioned last Friday and more. This is the time of year when some of the hanging baskets, pots and containers can start looking a little tired. If yours are not looking good, a few things may be wrong.

First is watering - things dry out fast at this time of year, so make sure that containers and baskets are being kept evenly moist and not allowed to totally dry out.

Secondly is the often overlooked fertilizing. Those pots and containers only have a limited amount of soil in them, which only hold so many nutrients. Now is the time that I give those plants a little boost to keep them going. I’ve mentioned the osmocote fertilizer before. You can add some of this to the top of the soil and this will provide a continuous feed of fertilizer. Another option is water-soluble fertilizer such as the very popular Miracle Grow. Any fertilizer mixed with water has to be used more often, since it already is in liquid form and may run out of the bottom of the container.

So - give those plants a little pick-me-up with some fertilizer.

I guess I know what I’ll be doing tonight.