Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Rain Gardens

I mentioned that I was at the Echo Experience at the State Fair on Saturday, which is just down the street from the 4-H Building - which is another building I like to check out.

In addition to the rain garden that I have already talked about, you can see porous concrete and asphalt which allows water to soak through and then down into the ground instead of washing down into streets which ultimately ends up in our rivers and lakes.

Something else that I saw near the rain garden display is an underground chamber system that runoff water from solid surfaces (roofs, driveways, etc.) can run into. The water can then be used later to say water lawns, flowerbeds, etc. This is a great way to reuse water and keep it from polluting the lakes. These chambers can be connected to form any size - they could be say the size of a football field with grass growing on top it.

I’m getting a day off from the Fair, but will be back out Wednesday - Friday during 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS at 4 p.m. Stop by and say hello.

Enjoy the sunny day!