Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Tulips & Daffodils

I hope your weekend was a good one. I planned out some yard projects that I will soon start and of course will keep you updated on. I also got a lot of miscellaneous things done in my yard. I finally feel like I have everything under control. On Sunday morning, it was great fun to have meteorologist Rob Koch join me in my backyard during the 8:00 hour of 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS Weekend Morning. For the first time in 7 years, I did a show and tell of the entire backyard.

I was recently asked about tulips and daffodils. Once they were done blooming, you should cut back the flower stem and nothing else. The plant needs the leaves to make food that is stored in the bulb until next spring. That stored food is what gives the plant the energy to produce a flower next year. So, wait until all the leaves have dried up on your tulips and daffodils before you cut them back. A fertilizing right now with a well-balanced garden food helps too.

Make your day a good one.