Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Farmer's Market

Each and every morning I wake up to Ian and Margery on FM107 where I hear Margery talk about the St. Paul Farmer’s Market and how much she loves shopping there. Ian occasionally chimes in with his ten cents worth about what he likes about the Farmer’s Market. A couple of weeks ago, I realized that I had not made it to the St. Paul Farmer’s Market yet this year. So, bright and early for the last two Sunday’s off I go. I have been to the Minneapolis Farmer’s Market many times this summer and I stopped at the roadside stand located between my house and work at least three times a week this summer.

If you have not made it to a Farmer’s Market this year, I encourage you to do so. There is so much great produce there, but the clock is ticking and it will soon be too late.

This past Sunday, I picked up some of the last sweet corn, red beets, pears, apples and a big bushel basket of Roma tomatoes. I spread the tomatoes on my kitchen table to let them ripen a bit more. Last night and tonight I made slow roasted tomatoes in garlic herbed oil. I got this recipe a few years ago and have made several batches every summer since. OK, it’s not technically summer any more but better late then never. I'll be enjoying these all winter long.

Here is the recipe. If you are not going to make these this year, print it and save for next summer.

Enjoy